From Lazy Dba Site
This is how you install the loopback adapter. Try it. It worked well
fine for me !!
18.104.22.168 Installing a Loopback Adapter on Windows 2003 or Windows XP
1. From the Start menu, select Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add Hardware to start the Add Hardware wizard.
3. On the Welcome screen, click Next.
4. On the Is the hardware connected? screen, select Yes, I have already connected the hardware, and click Next.
5. On the The following hardware is already installed on your computer screen, select Add a new hardware device, and click Next.
6. On the The wizard can help you install other hardware screen, select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list, and click Next.
7. From the list, select the type of hardware you are installing screen, select Network adapters, and click Next.
8. On the Select Network Adapter screen, make the following selections: Manufacturer: select Microsoft.
Network Adapter: select Microsoft Loopback Adapter.
9. Click Next.
10. On the The wizard is ready to install your hardware screen, click
11. On the Completing the Add Hardware Wizard screen, click Finish.
12. If you are using Windows 2003, restart your computer.
13. Right-click My Network Places on the desktop and choose Properties.
This displays the Network Connections control panel.
14. Right-click the connection that was just created. This is usually
named "Local Area Connection 2". Choose Properties.
15. On the General tab, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and click
16. In the Properties dialog, do the following:
IP Address: Enter a non-routable IP for the loopback adapter. Oracle
recommends the following non-routable addresses:
192.168.x.x (x is any value between 1 and 255)
a. Subnet mask: Enter 255.255.255.0.
b. Leave all other fields empty.
c. Click OK.
17. Click OK.
18. Click OK in the Local Area Connection 2 Properties dialog.
19. Restart the computer.
20. Add a line to the C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file with
the following format, after the localhost line:
IP_address hostname.domainname hostname
IP_address is the non-routable IP address you entered in step 16.
hostname is the name of the computer.
domainname is the name of the domain.
10.10.10.10 mycomputer.mydomain.com mycomputer
21. Check the network configuration:
Open System Properties, and select the Computer Name tab. In Full
computer name, make sure you see the hostname and the domain name.
Click Change. In Computer name, you should see the hostname, and in Full
computer name, you should see the hostname and domain name.
Click More. In Primary DNS suffix of this computer, you should see the